I have found that the demands of a Copywriter by Companies who have advertised for a Copywriter, seek to hire the following skills. But sadly, not all Copywriters are trained or skilled enough to perform certain tasks that are in demand in this digital era. According to my research in monitoring the Recruitment ads by Companies looking to hire Copywriters, this is what you will need to know if you want to be a Copywriter.
The skills many Companies seek in a Copywriter in the Digital Age are typically:
- ADVERTISING: Copywriting skills to Write for Print, Social Media, Blogs & Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- CONTENT WRITING & SEO: They also want the Copywriter to write blogs that are Search Engine Optimised to boost Search Engine ranking (requires knowledge of Website back-end)
- RESEARCH: Knows how to perform Keywords Research
- CREATIVE DIRECTION: Needs to come up with original Creative Content
- GRAPHIC DESIGN: Sometimes needs to design advertisements and social media posts
- CMS (WEBSITE): Copywriters are required to plan, write, post, and maintain the blog pages of a Company’s website, and also maintain and periodically re-write or update the entire website.
This is why, in this digital age, all Copywriters MUST learn at least the back-end of the popular WordPress Content Management System (CMS), and also knowledge on how to perform Keywords Research that she or he shall insert as Meta Descriptions and within the Copy in the website.
5 Reasons Why Every Copywriter MUST Learn Website Content Management System (CMS) in 2021:
1. You will understand the importance and connection of Copywriting in a technical sense
By learning the backend of a website or CMS, a Copywriter can have a better understanding of the connection between technical stuff and the soft skill of Copywriting.
2. You will have a better understanding of Digital Marketing & Search Engines by using certain plugins & tools
There are many Plugins and tools online that can help with our Marketing efforts. When a Copywriter braves the technical fear and starts to understand how certain plugins (similar to apps) work that can help in the overall marketing effort, she or he will come up with better ideas.
3. You will be able to research and insert the relevant Keywords and Keyphrases that your target audience uses to search for your products in your websites’ meta descriptions, tags, website (CMS), and blog copy
This is very important. When writing website copy and blogs, it is crucial to use the relevant Keywords and Keyphrases that our Target Audiences would use on Search Engines to find our products or services. Therefore, it is very important for a Copywriter to understand how a website works and where the input of a Copywriter is needed.
4. You will realise that no website should be built without the input of a Copywriter because this is the most important part of a website – Words & SEO (they go hand-in-hand)
As already stated above, when a Copywriter realises how important her or his input is in the backend of a website or CMS, this shall liberate this writer. This part is also crucial for Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) of the entire website. If a Copywriter’s input is not given to a website, you can be sure that that website is not Search Engine Optimised.
5. You will be able to write, post, update and maintain the blogs of a website, and it is these blogs that are sprinkled with the relevant Keywords that help Search Engines find your website for better Search Engine ranking and Sales
As all websites need regular updating and uploading of blog articles for the sake of SEO, this simply means that it is the Copywriter who has to monitor and upload content on the website every day. A website designer will never do this, so it has to be a Writer who has to look after the website of a company. After all, a website is for Sales, and so is Copywriting.
These are some of the valid reasons why Copywriters MUST learn how a Website or CMS works, and work on it. We have to, first of all, understand that websites are known as “Content Management Systems” (CMS). A website is the most important real estate of any company in this digital era – it’s your shop that is open 24 hours a day, every day, for every year that is also easily accessible from anywhere.
It, therefore, surprises me to find that many websites in Malaysia DO NOT have a blog page on their websites, and this is the only page in any website that is dynamic and can be updated regularly, as it should be, for Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and Digital Marketing success.
“Not having a Blog on your website is leaving money on the table.” – Joy Nandy
THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PAGE IN OUR ENTIRE WEBSITE BECAUSE WE CAN WRITE AS MUCH AS WE WANT USING THE KEYWORDS OUR TARGET AUDIENCES USE TO LURE THEM INTO OUR WEBSITE SO THAT WE CAN CLOSE A SALE.
Copywriters Need Digital Training
I have found that many Copywriters do not have sufficient digital knowledge. Without Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and some basic technical knowledge on the workings of a website, a Copywriter’s great creative and writing skills shall go to waste in this digital age.
Copywriting & Content Writing Are Different
Yes, I have written an article that explains The Difference Between Copywriting & Content Writing that Copywriters and Recruiters people should read.
When Companies require a Copywriter to write and maintain blogs, a Copywriter will need knowledge of Keywords Research and CMS (Website Management).
However, these functions are in the purview of a Content Writer, in fact. But since this term is new (Content Writer), most people simply call it “Copywriter”. Nonetheless, these are 2 different job functions with 2 different Marketing objectives; though a Writer can learn both, as I have myself.
So, Copywriters should be aware that they could be doing the jobs of 2 people, whilst getting paid for one – Copywriting only.
This is why all Copywriters, new and experienced, should learn the basics of WordPress CMS as this is the skill that is required and in demand by many companies in this digital era.
Learn Copywriting, Content Writing, SEO, Graphic Design & WordPress CMS in my all-new and exclusive CREATIVE DIGITAL MARKETING COURSE that will teach and prepare you for what the industry needs out there so that you can be successful in your career – and life, and always be the person in-demand.
Get in touch today…
Joy Nandy – Founder of The School Of Digital Advertising
*Not living in KL and wish to learn Copywriting and Content Writing? Yes, you can – Online Copywriting & Content Writing Courses Available